Sunday, March 11, 2012

Thriftin....

When I was younger, my dad would make it a ritual that on Sundays, after church, we'd go to a thrift store to "look around".  I hated it.  It smelled funny and there was never anything I liked.  My dad, on the other hand LOVED it.  He loved seeing what other people thought was trash and could make it his little treasure.  I usually just went to the books and fiddle through them while I waited for my dad to find whatever he needed to find.  
Now that I've grown up and seen what people do throw out to donate, I'm amazed by what they don't find beautiful anymore! Now I understand why my dad loved going to thrift stores! 




Whenever I walk in, I usually go straight to the dishware area.  I always look to see if they have funky vases or glass decanters.  Then go to the furniture.  Now, people might re-think themselves wanting to buy furniture from a thrift store, but if you see one with really good lines, and still in really good condition, you could always buy that, and have it re-upholstered.  I think people have the same idea that I have though, because the ones I do like, almost always have a "SOLD" sign on it.  Darn it.  

The picture here is of what I found at the local thrift store.  Just the white vase and that white dish thing I got for $5 for both!  I should take a better picture.  The terrarium next to it was something I made for $20.  =) I LOVE making terrariums.  They are actually a lot of fun and super cute to have in the house. 

After mosy-ing around there, I'll head to the clothing.  Here, you must have a patient mind to go through clothing.  And I usually go through it twice. You never know! You might have missed something.  I came in trying to find something, and my eyes would just glance over everything, then I had to stop, be more patient and I ended up buying: 1 leather biker jacket, a black asymmetrical blazer, a black pencil skirt, 1 cream pleated midi skirt, 1 navy pleated midi skirt, a gold lurex top, and a slouchy grey hand knit sweater... all for $43.  WAHOOS! 

I had to grab a basket, it was too much to hold... so then I went BACK to the furniture area, and I can't believe my eyes passed this table, but it was too beautiful to not buy.  It was a long rectangle coffee table, with a mid century modern look.  I thought something might be wrong with it, so I took a closer look and nope, it was in really good shape, solid wood, and only $45.  I carried it (sorta dragged... it was really heavy!) to the front and since I already had spent $43 on the clothes, the girl gave it to me for $30 bucks instead.  AND they helped me carry it to my car.  So now, it's sitting in my garage waiting for the primer to dry.  Here's a picture of it, but I'll do a little blog later with what I did to it =) 

1 comment:

  1. Most of the furniture in my apartment was donated to me by friends and family. Among the stuff was two pink chairs that a friend of mine thought were horrid. I for one think they're awesome, comfy, and I LIKE the dated pink upholstery. :) I use them a lot for plushie posing and classy pictures of my distinguished gentle-dog

    ReplyDelete